Mentors on the Flagship 3140 team have the opportunity to inspire imagination and ingenuity in student team members, our local community, and in their own lives as they:
- Share their knowledge and provide guidance to enthusiastic young people
- Nurture and inspire student confidence, leadership potential, and communication skills
- Teach practical engineering, technology, business, and project management skills
- Share in the Flagship Robotics goal of spreading STEAM education as well as awareness and excitement about FIRST in our community
- Model FIRST values of gracious professionalism, Cooperation, teamwork, and fun to a younger generation
Our student-driven team requires the right balance of guidance from our teacher sponsors and mentors. They advise safe operations, forward progress, and the learning of new skills. Mentors are encouraged to support with a hands-off approach to allow student ideas to flourish. Although Flagship 3140 has approximately a 2:1 student to mentor ratio, final decisions are made and all technical work is done by the students.